Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I survived!!

WOW...that about sums it up for me over the past few days.  Today is day 5 after surgery and I am finally feeling like myself again...kind of!  I truly don't think anyone or anything could have prepared me for what I would go through after surgery.  Let me explain....

I was scheduled for surgery on Friday afternoon at 2:30 and Baylor Medical in Carrolton called around 12:00 (while I was watching my husband eat a Whataburger) and said that they were ready for me. At that point, the excitement had taken over and I was READY!!!! When Troy and I got to the hospital I filled out paperwork and they took me back to the Pre-Op room.  This is where my nerves set in and I had a little crying spell....nothing too dramatic.  The nurses poked me, asked questions, and prepped me for surgery.  My mom and her husband, Gary, arrived a little while later and I was able to visit with them before they took me back. When it was time, the anesthesiologist put some kind of potion in my IV and they wheeled me out.  The last thing I remember happening is the nurse in the OR asking me to scoot onto the gurney.  I woke up some amount of time later in a recovery room.

I'll be honest, I don't remember much about my time there after surgery.  I remember feeling some pain. I remember getting up to go to the bathroom. I remember getting dressed - or should I say, Troy getting me dressed!! :) And I remember the nausea after standing up!! The drive home was sketchy and so was the rest of the evening. I slept a lot and felt nauseous A LOT!!!

My Mom and Gary stayed until Saturday morning and then my Julie momma came with my Granny Grace to see me later in the day.  I remember them being there...but I was in and out of coherence.  I received numerous calls and texts during the days after - few of which I actually responded to.  I felt so bad that I didn't want to hold the phone ....that's pretty bad folks!!! On Sunday my sister came by and took my little one out of the house for a while.  I know that was good for him!! My bestie came by to see me on her way home from birthday parties. Normally our time together is spent in laughter...there was none of that to be had. I looked and felt dreadful! To be honest, the pain for the surgery was not so bad - probably about like what I expected. 

What was getting me was the nauseous feeling I got whenever I moved.  It was so bad! They did give me medication to help the sick feeling in my body, but it knocked me out and it wore off before I could take it again. I couldn't eat anything and could barely drink anything! By Monday, that had subsided quite a bit and I was dealing with the bloating pain from the gas that they had to inject into my belly and my own exhaustion. I missed the first day of school :( I was so sad, but I knew there was no way I could make it to work that day. Luckily, I felt much better Monday evening and decided I could make it to work on Tuesday.
Yesterday was tiring but I did very well.  I ate my three meals (two shakes and some soup for dinner) and I went to bed at 9:00!

So was it worth it??? Absolutely, I think! I really am happy that I had the surgery and I know that the changes that are to come will only solidfy that decision.  I'm glad that I didn't know before hand how the surgery would affect me....I don't know if I would have the courage to do it again. I'm excited about the things to come for me and making the transitions. Who knows what's in store!! I'm excited all over again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment